Danny DeVito and Richard Griffiths in The Sunshine Boys at the Savoy Theatre
The American Film and Television Star Set for His West End Debut Alongside The History Boys Actor
Back in October it was rumoured that Danny DeVito would be starring alongside Richard Griffiths in a new West End production of “The Sunshine Boys”. This has now been confirmed, with the play due to replace “Legally Blonde the Musical” at the Savoy Theatre from April 2012 with a limited run that takes it to July. It has also been pointed out that Thea Sharrock it set to take on the duties of director.
Danny DeVito will be making his London theatre (and as such his West End) debut with the production and it comes on the back of a screen career that has spanned many decades. He is best known for his film roles such as “Batman Returns”, “Twins”, “Junior”, “Romancing the Stone” and “The Jewel of the Nile”, in addition to television programmes like “Taxi” in the 1970s and “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”, which continues to Air on FX television. For the stage he has previously shown off his talents on the other side of the Atlantic with “One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest” in an off-Broadway location in the 1970s
Richard Griffith’s, meanwhile, is known for a wide range of London theatrical shows. For those that have picked up various theatre tickets over the years he may be most recognisable from “The History Boys” at the Lyttelton National Theatre (as well as the movie version), in addition to his work with the Royal Shakespeare Company” and Beyond that, however, he has appeared in movies like “Withnail and I”, “Naked Gun 2½: The Smell off of Fear”, “Guarding Tess”, “Ghandi” and, most recently, “The Pirates of Caribbean
Neil Simon’s “The Sunshine Boys” focuses on two well known icons of comedy Wille Clark – portrayed by DeVito – and Al Lewis – portrayed by Griffiths – who were known as the Sunshine Boys early in their career. After a bitter fall-out they are set to reunite, but will they be able to put their grudges aside?
“The Sunshine Boys” is set to appear at the Savoy Theatre from Thursday 17th May 2012 (previews from Friday 27th April 2012) to Saturday 28th July 2012.
- David Calder and More in The Audience at the Apollo Theatre
- Ben Forster and Kimberley Walsh in Elf The Musical at the Dominion Theatre
- Elf The Musical at the Dominion Theatre
- Simon Shepherd and Sara Stewart in Hay Fever at the Duke of York's Theatre
- Cyndi Laupers Kinky Boots at the Adelphi Theatre
- Wicked, War Horse and Curious Incident Extend as Ghost Stories Ends
- Alex Ferns and June Watson in The Father at Trafalgar Studios 2
- Gary Watson in Jersey Boys at the Piccadilly Theatre
- Peter Davison in Gypsy at the Savoy Theatre
- Three Extensions and a Closure in the West End