(5mins) Go right on Long Acre; turn right into Bow Street and after 100 metres turn left (Russell Street) then immediately right onto Catherine Street, where the theatre is located 100 metres down on the corner with Aldwych.
Age Restriction: Suitable for ages 5 and over.
One of the biggest success stories in the West End, Mamma Mia! continues to attract its fans to its home of the Novello Theatre and shows no signs of slowing down! Based on the songs of ABBA and featuring some talented performers and creative practitioners, it is one of the most memorable shows in the capital, attracting fans from all over the world.
Focusing on the characters of Donna and Sophie Sheridan, those with theatre tickets get a memorable show with Mamma Mia! as the marriage between Sophie and Skye gets closer. But there’s a problem – Sophie wants her dad to walk her down the aisle, which would be easy if she knew who he is!
Consulting the diary of her mother, Donna, Sophie narrows it down to three men and promptly invites all three of them to attend, prompting chaos and plenty of hilarious moments, whilst the music of ABBA leads the way. Songs include a range of hits from Dancing Queen and Super Trouper to Thank You For the Music and, of course, Mamma Mia!
The production has been a huge hit for producers like Judie Craymer, who utilised the lessons learnt from Mamma Mia! and developed the well known Spice Girls musical Viva Forever as well.
The show was also adapted into a hit movie in 2008 with Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan among the cast members. It was notable as it stopped one of the biggest films of that year – the Batman film The Dark Knight – from reaching the top of the film charts in the United Kingdom.
Audiences can still see Mamma Mia! as it continues at its home of the Novello Theatre in London’s West End.
Did You Know?
• The show opened at the Prince Edward Theatre in 1999 and later transferred to the Prince of Wales Theatre in 2004. It arrived at its current home of the Novello Theatre in 2012 to make way for The Book Of Mormon.
• The show currently stars Gabriella Williams and Dianne Pilington as Sophie and Donna Sheridan. It also features Louisa Young as Ali, Mazz Murray as Tanya, Stephanie Fearon as Lisa and Joe Napthine as Rosie (true as of February 2016).
• In 2000 Jenny Galloway won the Laurence Olivier Award for Best Performance in a Supporting Role in a Musical for her work as Rosie in the show (the part of Rosie is currently played by Jo Napthine, as of February 2016).
• It was nominated for three other Laurence Olivier Awards in 2000 as well – Best New Musical, Best Actress in a Musical and Best Performance in a Supporting Role in a Musical (the latter for another former co-star Louise Plowright).
• It has also won a Theatre World Award and was nominated for numerous Tony Awards when it opened on Broadway in 2001.
|Booking From:||Friday, 26th August 2016|
|Booking Until:||Saturday, 4th March 2017|
|Running Time:||2 hours 35 minutes (with a 15 min interval)|
|Age Restriction:||Suitable for ages 5 and over.|
|Thu:||3pm and 7.45pm|
|Sat:||3pm and 7.45pm|
Please enter your email address.