Rock Of Ages Transferring to the Garrick Theatre
The West End Musical Finds a New Home Following its Run at the Shaftesbury Theatre
It had recently been announced that “Burn The Floor” would be opening at the Shaftesbury Theatre in March 2013 and this of course meant that the show currently running at the West End venue – “Rock of Ages” – would need to find a new home. This has now been revealed as the Garrick Theatre, with the glam rock musical set to open its doors at the new venue in January, with less than two weeks in which it will be absent from the West End.
The last time that “Rock of Ages” was in the news was in August when Alice Cooper made a surprise appearance in the show. It demonstrates the enduring popularity of the musical, not only that well known rock stars are willing to take part, but also that a new home can be sort so quickly in light of its closure.
The plot focuses on a small town girl who moves to LA in the 1980s where she meets a rocker and the pair fall in love due to their mutual love of glam rock. The show famously features songs from an array of hits of the era, with songs like “The Final Countdown”, “I Wanna Know What Love Is” and more, with Bon Jovi, Whitesnake and more given the spotlight.
The production originally opened at the Shaftesbury Theatre in September 2011 and since then a Hollywood movie has also been released with Tom Cruise amongst those taking on starring roles. The West End version currently features actors like Tim Howar, Ross Hunter and Daniel Fletcher among others, whilst Simon Lipkin narrates.
The show’s replacement at the Shaftesbury – “Burn the Floor” is a dance hit that will feature performers that those picking up theatre tickets will recognise from television’s “Strictly Come Dancing” – Robin Windsor, Kristina Rihanoff and Karen Hauer. Various international dancers complete the troupe in a show that will stand alongside other dance productions in the West End like “Tango Fire – Flames of Desire” at the Peacock Theatre. The former opens at the Shaftesbury in March.
Meanwhile, “Rock of Ages” will open at the Garrick Theatre on Friday 18th January 2013 with an initial booking period taking it to Saturday 2nd November 2013.
- Jim Broadbent in A Christmas Carol at the Noel Coward Theatre
- How The Book Of Mormon Has Taken The West End By Storm
- Extensions for The Rocky Horror Show and The Book Of Mormon
- Aladdin the Musical to open at Prince Edward Theatre, London
- Danny Horn and More in Sunny Afternoon at the Harold Pinter Theatre
- The Tinderbox Story – A Fantastic Fairy Tale For The Whole Family
- Den Den and David Williamson Added to The Illusionists at the Shaftesbury Theatre
- 5 Things You Wouldn’t Believe Actually Happened on Stage!
- Tash Holway and More Join Elf The Musical at the Dominion Theatre
- Aaron Crow in Impossible at the Noel Coward Theatre