The Bodyguard and Spamalot Extend in the West End
Two shows that opened in the West End in 2012 have announced new dates at their respective homes this month, allowing London theatre audiences more chances to catch these productions on the stage. One of them is The Bodyguard, which opened at the Adelphi Theatre in December, and the other is Monty Python’s Spamalot, which made a West End return when it opened at the Playhouse Theatre in November.
The Bodyguard had been in the pipeline for some time before it was officially announced last year and many names were linked with the lead role of Rachael Marron, including pop stars like Alexandra Burke. Eventually it was announced that Heather Headley would take on the role and she was revealed alongside Lloyd Owen as Frank Farmer, the bodyguard of the title.
Both roles were made famous on the big screen when the movie version hit cinemas in the 1990s with Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner in the parts. Whilst such a background ensured an audience for the production upon its arrival in the West End, well known and admired director Thea Sharrock was also employed to bring it to life.
Having originally opened in December, The Bodyguard is now taking bookings at the Adelphi Theatre until Saturday 28th September 2013.
Meanwhile, Monty Python’s Spamalot has added dates further into the year, meaning that audiences will have shows up until November to play with when the new theatre tickets go on sale.
The production is the return of a musical that previously appeared in the West End in the last decade and follows the story of the movie Monty Python And The Holy Grail closely. In it King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table head out in search of the Holy Grail, facing various enemies and colourful characters along the way.
Stephen Tompkinson was recently revealed as the show’s King Arthur, whilst Anna-Jane Casey takes on the part of the Lady of the Lake. They took over from the actors that had followed the show to the West End following its UK tour (such as Marcus Brigstocke).
Having opened in November 2012, Monty Python’s Spamalot is now taking bookings at the Playhouse Theatre until Saturday 2nd November 2013.
- Oliver Chris in King Charles III at the Wyndham’s Theatre
- Amit Shah in East Is East at Trafalgar Studios 1
- Lucy Punch in Great Britain at the Theatre Royal Haymarket
- Miss Saigon 25th Anniversary Show at the Prince Edward Theatre
- Kerry Ellis in Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre
- Craige Els in Matilda The Musical at the Cambridge Theatre
- Billie Piper's Great Britain Transferring to the Theatre Royal Haymarket
- Liam Tamne and Alicia Beck in The Phantom Of The Opera
- Lindsay Lohan in Speed-The-Plow at the Playhouse Theatre
- Tamsin Greig in Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown