Three West End Extensions for 2013
Some extensions are revealed in the West End that add new dates to three popular London shows: The Beatles musical Let It Be at the Savoy Theatre (transferring from the Prince of Wales Theatre), We Will Rock You at the Dominion Theatre and The 39 Steps at the Criterion Theatre.
Let It Be opened at the Prince of Wales Theatre in 2012 and not only allowed audiences to hear live renditions of his Beatles songs like Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and Let It Be, but also allowed them to do so in the West End, where another Beatles show in the form of Backbeat recently played at the Duke of York’s Theatre. The success of the show means that audiences will be able to witness Let It Be well beyond its original end-date of Saturday 19th January 2013 – it will now take bookings at the Savoy Theatre from Friday 1st February 2013 until at least October.
Meanwhile, few would have doubted that We Will Rock You would be granted an extension; the show has been the recipient of loads of them since it opened at the Dominion Theatre in 2002. The latest one adds new dates until October 2013 and ensures that - just as Beatles fans get their fix - Queen fans will be able to celebrate the back catalogue of their favourite band well into the current year.
Taking an original story of a globalised future at the behest of the tyrant Killer Queen, We Will Rock You uses names from Queen’s back catalogue to tell its story, in addition to featuring renditions of the songs themselves.
It is now booking at the Dominion Theatre until Saturday 26th October 2013.
Finally, The 39 Steps has also extended until October, with audiences continuing to relish in the plight of Richard Hannay as he flees from the police in search of the mysterious 39 Steps. Based on the John Buchan novel and the Alfred Hitchcock movie of the same name, it features well known set-pieces that have made the story popular.
It is now booking at the Criterion Theatre until Saturday 19th October 2013.
- Killian Donnelly in Memphis at the Shaftesbury Theatre
- Jodie Prenger in Spamalot at the Playhouse Theatre
- Mamma Mia and Les Miserables Announce Extension
- Mark Benton in Cool Rider at the Duchess Theatre
- The Commitments and The Book Of Mormon Extend in the West End
- Thriller Extends as The Full Monty Ends
- Imelda Staunton in Good People at the Noel Coward Theatre
- Extensions for Twelve Angry Men and Ghost Stories
- Josefina Gabrielle, Barry James and More in Charlie And The Chocolate Factory
- We Will Rock You Closing at the Dominion Theatre in May 2014