What’s New Pussycat? New Cast For Cats Announced!
The time has come for Beverley Knight to turn in her toe-tapping Memphis shoes and put her best paw forward to take on the role of Grizabella in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Cats.
The dreamy musical will be returning to London’s West End in October for a limited 11 week run with booking already open until January 2016. Take a look who will be playing your favourite jellicle cat below:
• Beverley Knight – Grizabella
• Jack Butterworth – Rumpus/Alonzo
• Danielle Cato – Cassandra
• Javier Cid – Macavity/Admetus
• Luke Cinque-White – Carbucketty
• Emma Lee Clark – Bombalurina
• Jon-Scott Clark – Bill Bailey
• Gabrielle Cocca – Tantomile
• Harry Francis – Mungojerrie
• Tarryn Gee – Jemima
• Evan James – Skimbleshanks
• Matt Krzan – Munkustrap
• Georgie Leatherland – Rumpelteazer
• Adam Linstead – Old Deuteronomy
• Paul F Monaghan – Gus/Growltiger/Bustopher Jones
• Jane Quinn – Jennyanydots
• Mark John Richardson – Quaxo/ Mistoffelees
• Clare Rickard – Jellylorum
• Jordan Shaw – Pouncival
• Hannah Kenna Thomas – Victoria/ White Cat
• James Titchener – Coricopat
• Marcquelle Ward – Tugger
• Anna Woodside – Demeter
Swings – Megan Megan Armstrong, Lindsay Atherton, Lucy Brushett, Oliver Ramsdale, Alex Pinder and Barry Haywood
How much do you know about Cats?
1. The musical Cats is based on a book of whimsical poems by T.S. Eliot called Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats. In fact, the stage version introduces seven new characters including the most famous Grizabella!
2. Despite being translated into over 10 languages and performed worldwide, the name Cats has never been translated.
3. Judi Dench was originally meant to play the role of Grizabella when the show first opened in London, however after suffering an injury during rehearsals the role went to Elaine Page.
4. Elaine Paige released a top 10 recording of Memory in the UK. Since then other world famous artists have recorded the song including Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow and Liberace.
5. Pussycat Doll turned jellicle cat Nicole Scherzinger was recently nominated for Best Supporting Actress in a Musical following her role of Grizabella. She also performed the hit song ‘Memory’ at the 2015 Olivier Awards, watch here.
Have you seen Cats? Be sure to share your feline friendly Box Office review and tell us what you think!